Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Decision

First off let me say that I don't care that Lebron James signed with the Miami Heat. Would it have been nice if he stayed home, and won a championship in Cleveland? Yeah, I would have liked that, let me say, I'm a little old school like that but whatever. The one real problem I have with the situation (other than the fact that by demanding an hour to make a 15 second announcement we learned that King James is a royal douche) was the fallout from the situation involving Cleveland Cavaliers owner Dan Gilbert and "Reverend" Jesse Jackson (I only put reverend in parentheses because it is unclear to me is Jesse Jackson has ever actually given a sermon, seeing as all he ever talks about is race).

The problem I had with the whole fallout from "The Decision" is probably not what you think it is. I don't really have a problem with Dan Gilbert's comments regarding Lebron. Would he have perhaps been better served sleeping on that email for a night before publishing it? Yeah, probably. Did he go a little overboard? Maybe. But did Gilbert show most of all that he's a fan just like the rest of us? You bet, and that's what I love about his comments; they're the exact same thing that every other Cavs fan was thinking that night (although probably minus more than a few expletives). That being said, the PR guy who was on call that night needs to be fired immediately . . . Unless Gilbert's comments were a carefully thought out plan to unite his fan base with him, instead of the very real possibility of the owner being blamed for letting James get away. Either way, Gilbert's comments are not my problem.

My problem is Jesse Jackson's reaction to Gilbert's comments. The alleged reverend first said that Dan Gilbert's comments put Lebron's life in danger. Now it is true that James and his people have received threats, but if you think that the idiots who take sports so seriously that they would threaten the life of a guy who is 6'8 270 lbs wouldn't have made those threats whether Gilbert said anything or not, than you're just as dumb as the people making the threats. To me, it sounds like Jesse Jackson hadn't heard his name on TV in a while and decided this would be a good time to speak up. That being said, morons out their who are making threats on Lebron James and his mom, pull your head out and go get a job . . . or a girlfriend . . . or go do anything that matters because right now you are a disgrace to sports fans everywhere.

My real problem however, arose when Jesse Jackson said that Gilbert's comments were like that of a slave owner. I know, it is shocking that Jesse Jackson pulled the race card. Let me ask you this, had Larry Bird been born 30 years later and was drafted by the Cavaliers, and decided last week to leave via free agency in the exact same manner that James did, do you think Gilbert would have reacted any differently? The correct answer is no. Gilbert would have gone off on Larry Legend the same way he went off of King James. Let me ask you another question, had Gilbert made those comments about Larry Bird, would Jesse Jackson have said anything at all, much less to go as far as to compare him to a slave owner? The correct answer is once again no. That's what bothers me the most about this whole situation. Jesse Jackson might be the most racist man in America, because only he would make this about race, when to everyone else it was about basketball.

Now before you start calling me out as a racist or whatever, go ahead and take a look to the right hand side of the page. Yeah, I'm the brown kid in the picture with the sunglasses. No, I'm not black, if by black you mean African-American. I'm not black if you mean the color either but then again neither are African-Americans, their skin is brown just like mine. The point is, when people see me on the street, they don't know what I am, but Caucasian isn't one of their guesses. So don't go off saying I'm just some white guy that doesn't understand. I understand perfectly clearly that the less people care about the difference between black and white, the less Jesse Jackson matters, so Jesse Jackson likes to try and create racial drama. That way he's still famous. I'm not saying racism is gone in America, because not being white, I know that it's not. What I am saying is, racism has a different face now than it did in the past and ironically, the face of racism this past week wasn't Dan Gilbert the white guy, it was Jesse Jackson, the black one.

No comments: