Sunday, August 3, 2008

This Morning

I was sitting in church this morning and found myself wanting to stand up and scream at the top of my lungs on more than my occasion. It was actually painful for me to sit there and see what the church has become.

Since when does a prayer have to come included with mood lighting and theme music? Does that somehow make it more effective? Is God more likely to hear us if we create a dramatic scene before we talk to Him? Somehow I don't think so. It is frustrating to think that we know longer believe that an honest cry to God is simply not good enough. Or maybe its that the people who lead our churches don't believe that the love of God is enough to move their congregation, so they have to "create a mood." Maybe if we actually demonstrated the love of God in our lives we might realize that it is more powerful than any mood we could ever set.

What might be worse than this is the fact that I actually heard a preacher apologize for the fact that he was about to make a theological point in his sermon. I was at church, if he isn't making theological points, than what is he doing? Isn't it his job to make theological points on Sunday morning? What made me absolutely sick though was that after he apologized for bringing up theology in church was that he never actually made anything that resembled a theological point. I mean if you are going to apologize for something then you better bring it. You better just whack me over the head with a 2x4 with something profound and earth shattering.

I think I would like any apology for all of the sermons I've listened to that completely failed to make anything that even resembled a theological point. That's what we should be sorry for.

2 comments:

Bahil said...

wait, what do church and theology have in common?

raj said...

so, it was a good service today?