Monday, September 15, 2008

The Older Girls Love Me

I was bench pressing during my workout and had taken the weight off the rack and lowered it to my chest, just the same as I always do, however when I went to push the weight back up, my wrist just kind of gave out. It felt very weak and there was a sharp shooting pain in it. Thankfully I had a spotter so I didn't die, but still it was concerning nonetheless. I was doing a decent amount of weight, but nothing that should have caused any of my joints to fail me. Anyway, I attempted to finish my workout but was rather limited and ended up having to cut things short.

A couple days later, after the pain in my wrist had not subsided at all, I went in to see an orthopedic doctor who specialized in hand and wrist injuries. When I got there I had to fill out some forms, describing the nature of my injury, how it occurred, that kind of thing. A while after I had returned the forms to the receptionist, an elderly nurse, probably about 70 years old, walked me back to an exam room. Once we got to the room she started flipping through my chart and asking me why I was there. I explained to her that I hurt myself lifting weights. She didn't seem overly interested in what I had to say, and asked me to remove my hoodie so that she could take my blood pressure.

As she went to place the blood pressure cuff on my arm, the woman who was old enough to be my grandma and had seemed thoroughly indifferent to my presence suddenly exclaimed, "Oh my goodness! I can tell you really do work out!" In that unmistakable startled old lady voice. Being extremely caught off guard, I just nervously laughed, and said "Yeah . . ." with my voice trailing off as I awkwardly came to the realization that I had just been hit on by a 70 year old woman.

I guess the bright side of this whole thing is that apparently there is at least one demographic of females who digs me, so at the very least, when I reach my golden years I'll be a p-i-m-p.

1 comment:

raj said...

somehow, I feel that I've always known you would be a hit with the blue-hair crowd.